Friday, 25 October 2019

CNC Custom Sign

This was the first project I undertook with the new desktop CNC machine.

Wednesday, 11 January 2017

Ladder Toss

We call it ladder toss, but it goes by many names. The only things not shown in the picture are the objects you use to throw on to the ladders. They are simply two tennis balls tied to either end of a rope about 300mm long. Lots of fun and easy to make with rough scrap wood.

Sunday, 14 February 2016

The (Too) Big Garden - 2015

This past summer we increased the size of the garden big time! Converting an old sheep yard into a vegetable garden took some serious labour and in the end the weeds really did win out, but we still managed to pull a hearty harvest from the plot. An automated water system helped but next year we are going into full blown weed prevention mode. Stay tuned!


Tuesday, 7 April 2015

The Start of a Garden Adventure

At times I can get rather fixed on things. I'll ramble on about the wonders of vermicomost or aquaponics to friends and family as their eyes slowly glass over. Usually these ramblings amount to nothing more than a passing phase soon to be forgotten by my captive audience, but something happened in the spring of 2014. Other people got excited too.

And with that the summer garden was born. A humble plot built on my girlfriend's farm, fenced with scrap chicken wire and boxed with recycled lumber. It even had a fancy gate once employed to hold the wandering sheep herd at bay. 

(June 2014)
Starting with radish and snow pea, as summer progressed the plot became a vigorous veggie patch.

( July 2014)
At this point things seemed like they would fit just fine. Little did we know.

(August 2014)
It would become a dense and mysterious jungle!

At the end of the season based on somewhat sporadic records and memory I estimated the following yield from our little patch,

Friday, 13 February 2015

Pallet Headboard

This next project was inspired by my girlfriend. She wanted to create a rustic pallet headboard and that was exactly what we set out to do. We collected four rather worn pallets and set about with disassembling them and removing the nails.

As you can tell these had been a set of rather hardworking pallets. 

 Initially we laid them out so that there would be a straight edge on either side. 

After some minor deliberation we want with very mild offsets, less than 1 inch.

We then decided to give the whole headboard a stain. Looking back at the early pictures I think I prefer the contrast of the various wood tones but this colour went well with the bed set where it would eventually go. 

Saturday, 16 August 2014

Etched Wine Glasses

So our friends got married and my girlfriend Kate came up with the idea to create a set of personalized wine glasses with their initials. With no experience we headed out to the craft store to purchase the stencils and the frosting glue material .

Stencil, frosting glue and a brush. 

It's actually fairly easy to do this project once you have the materials. We used water to make a level line that was equal on all four glasses. We then aligned the bottom of the stencil with the water line and applied the frosted glue. 

The second letter was placed by eye so that it intersected with the "R". 

And voila! A set of custom etched wine glasses.

Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Bottle Lamp

If you check out youtube you can find a bunch of videos showing you various ways of cutting through a bottle. I found scoring it with a glass cutter and then pouring water of it (alternating between hot and freezing) worked best. This bottle however, was extremely thick and odd shaped which made it both beautiful and a devil to work with. After a ridiculous amount of heating and cooling the thing cracked but did not quite follow that exact scoring. The end product is below. Not perfect by any means but a start and definitely something I will come back to at a later date. 

Monday, 28 January 2013

Regrowing Celery

In grade ten I attempted to regrow grocery store peppers by planting their seeds. This was a complete and horrid failure. Some six years later I ventured into the realm of regrowing from the produce aisle once more and achieved some moderate success. Below are my two humble celery plants.

3 months old (left) 1 week old (right)

Saturday, 21 July 2012

The Coat Hook Board

For the past few weeks I have been involved with the Habitat for Humanity Restore here in London. The idea behind the project was to upcycle odds and ends around the store. I used an old laminated mdf board along with two old scraps of wood and some hooks.  This piece was inspired by the work of Ariele Alaska which you can find here.

Next time I'll try the same technique on a bigger scale. 

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Pallet Bar/Table

Walking home one day I opted to take a slightly altered route. A walk home can get rather mundane after a few years. When I rounded my new found corner I gazed upon four top notch pallets just waiting to be my next project. I lugged them home awkwardly as my mind raced on what exactly they would become. After spending a week or two gazing through every pallet related DIY project on google images and pinterest I set out to build a new table on the patio that would overlook the fire pit and the rest of the backyard.

The Waste.

The End Product.